The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services launched a campaign across the U.S to inform and educate older Americans about Medicare scams and helps them reduce the chance of fraud affecting them or costing the program the estimated $60 billion that is lost each year to scams. These Fraud schemes may be carried out by individuals, companies, or groups of individuals.
Not only can Medicare fraud risk your personal information falling into scamster’s hands, but those billions and billions of dollars wasted only serve to drive up health care costs and risk higher premiums or less benefits for seniors to access in the future.
The campaign urges older people never to give sensitive information, such as their Social Security, Medicare and bank account numbers, to someone they don’t know, and not to give personal information over the phone.
Some of the common types of fraud that the Department of Health and Human Services warns people to be aware of include:
- A health care provider bills Medicare for services you never received.
- A supplier bills Medicare for equipment you never got.
- Someone uses another person’s Medicare card to get medical care, supplies, or equipment.
- Someone bills Medicare for home medical equipment after it has been returned.
- A company offers a Medicare drug plan that has not been approved by Medicare.
- A company uses false information to mislead you into joining a Medicare plan.
A great brochure is available from the new web site that has been launched as part of this campaign, which also includes public service announcement commercials running on TV and radio. The website is called www.stopmedicarefraud.gov and you can download a brochure to learn more about how to avoid becoming a victim of Medicare fraud.
At Canada Drugs we encourage all our patients that are also using Medicare benefits to be aware of fraud and remember that we can also help you Maximize Your Medicare. Many CanadaDrugs.com customers have saved hundreds, even thousands, of dollars annually using our Personal Savings Strategy that allows them to get the most out of Medicare, while also saving direct on some medications with our Canadian Pharmacy‘s low prices.